Racquetball doubles is a high speed game of strategy and position, and good teamwork is an essential element of successful doubles play. The USA Racquetball National Doubles Championships is a premier event, and the competition is intense and fun to watch. Games are also fast, so here are a few basic racquetball doubles rules to help you keep up:
- Only the serving team can score a point.
- In doubles, the serve is lost to the receiving team when both partners of the serving team have lost service, except that the team that serves first at the beginning of each game loses service when the first server loses service.
- The serving team has to be between the serving lines at time of serve.
- The receiving team must be at least 5 feet behind the serving line and stay there until the ball bounces off the serve.
- The serve must hit the front wall and bounce behind the short serve line (second line from the front wall) in order for it to be a legal serve.
- The return may be taken by hitting the ball into the air off the serve, or after the ball has bounced behind the short service line off the serve.
- Either member of a doubles team may hit the ball on each rally—they do not have to alternate shots.
Official Rules and Regulations, USA Racquetball
WATCH LIVE & FREE On2In2™
The 2018 USA Racquetball National Doubles Championships was held February 7-11, 2018 on the Arizona State University campus in Tempe, Arizona. Everyone was invited to play at this premiere doubles tournament offering men, women and mixed divisions for skill and age + skill. It was also a US Team Selection event with a US Team Singles Qualifying division and the Men’s and Women’s US Team Doubles Qualifying division determined one-year appointments to the US National Team for international and world event competition. [See participants lists → Men’s US Team Doubles Qualifying → Women’s US Team Doubles Qualifying
If you missed the live broadcast, video recordings of the competition are available to watch. Just click/tap the “Watch Again” button or select from the video posts located on the video player below ↓
If you missed the 2017 USA Racquetball National Doubles Championships, there’s still time to watch a video recording of the competition, including the close match between Diaz/Carson v Rojas/Rojas in Men’s Doubles final, and the Tisinger/Ruiz defeat of Paraiso/Davis in the Women’s Doubles final. Just Click/Tap the “Watch Again” button or select a specific match from the video posts on the video player below ↓
We’d love to hear from you! If you’d like to comment on this post, join the conversation, or share your inspiration, and you have not yet registered as an On2In2™ playmaker, please sign up via the ‘Engage page’. Don’t worry, it’s pretty quick and easy.
Feature photo: Racquetball Swing by Flickr user, IMCBerea College, CC BY 2.0